Being able to ask a few questions of an expert is a great way to gain some knowledge. I had a short conversation with Ben Keller who works with the Brooks Kelly Team at Homebridge.
1. What’s the best way to get started and prepared to buy a home? – This step can vary from client to client. But start with thinking of what you want your monthly payments to be. Next, be prepared with some cash out of pocket, because you will have closing costs and other fees once closing time comes around. Bear in mind to remember "PITI" - Principal, Interest, Taxes, and Insurance. Keeping these things in mind will help there be less surprises as you move forward.
2. What should I look for in my credit score?Starting at a 550 credit score, you may qualify for programs that can get you into a loan. There will be restrictions and requirements that may lessen with each tier you increase your credit score. Remember, that credit score is not the be all, end all for an approval. Income and debt to income ratios come into play as well.
3. What do I need for a downpayment? – Average minimum down payments for different loan programs: FHA – 3.5% Conventional 5% VA 0%. 20% down can eliminate the need to pay Mortgage Insurance on the loan.
4. What’s the most stressful part of the loan approval process? – Amount of documentation required for an approval. There can be a lot of steps that require a lot of docs to have everything ready. Sometimes the underwriters will ask for more docs and the BK team will try to get as much of the paperwork out of the way as early as possible to help reduce stress.
5. What are some key "Dos and Don'ts"?Don’ts – Don’t acquire any additional debt or make any large purchases. Don’t pack away any important docs. Don’t change jobs without notifying your lender. Don’t co-sign on any loans or payments. Dos - Notify your lender of: any change in salary or compensation, any major deposits to your accounts.
A big thank you to Ben Keller at HomeBridge for taking the time to answer some of these questions!
You can reach out for questions with Brooks Kelly and his team at their website HERE or by calling 469-708-5626
Want to start searching new homes online? Check HERE for the latest listings updated daily!
Do you already own a home? Let's do a market analysis of your value and see how much equity you have!
Author:Joe Boukhari Phone: 469-387-7030 Dated: January 31st 2018 Views: 203 About Joe: I live in East Dallas near White Rock Lake, with my wife, Sara, our daughter, Betty, and Rufus the c...
View our latest blog posts in your RSS reader. Click here to access.
Hello! At JB Real Estate group, we are passionate about helping you build stability and wealth through solid investments in real estate, either for your personal residence or for investment purposes. We also LOVE to market and SELL your existing property to maximize your return and make the process as smooth as possible for you. Give us a shout today for a relaxed conversation about your real estate goals!
It's that time of year! To remember all the projects you meant to do,
"I first used Cyndi back in 2008 when she helped me purchase my first home. It was probably the worst contract any first-time home buyer could have entered into due to the fact the seller past away during our active contract. I would not have been able to stay sane if it weren't for Cyndi. She was very passionate and understanding. I am a person with a strong and demanding personality who always expects "A" class service. Cyndi exceeded all my expectations which later led to me calling her back in 2015 to sell my house and buy my current house. She will go above and beyond regardless of how many houses or your price range. Her main concern is making you happy. I will and have referred her to many friends and family who are interested in buying and selling their homes."